The promotional products industry generated approximately $25.5 billion in 2022, a 15.6% increase over 2021 and recovery to pre-pandemic levels of revenue. Nearly 70% of distributors reported that they expect higher sales in 2023.
Sustainable, eco-friendly products accounted for 11.2% of total industry sales in 2022. Sales of eco-friendly products are rising each year as customers are more conscientious and interested in sustainability.
According to consumers…
- 61% can recall the advertiser of a promotional product they received in the last 12 months.
Nearly 50% have kept a promotional product for 5 years or longer.
- Of consumers who have kept a promotional product, 75.4% said they kept it because the item is useful.
- 58% equate the quality of a promotional product with the reputation of the company or brand that gave it to them.
- 71.3% wish that they received promotional products more often.
- 83% say that receiving a promotional product at an event makes the experience more memorable.
- 62% feel appreciated by their employer when gifted a promotional product.
- After receiving a promotional product from an unfamiliar brand, 55% look them up online while 17% visit their social media.
Most popular promotional product categories:
Most influential promotional product categories:
ASI has studied which promotional products are most influential (i.e. most likely to convince a consumer to do business with the advertiser).
Most influential promotional products in the United States:
- Performance wear
- Health & Safety
- Polo Shirts
Most influential promotional products for consumers in the Midwest:
- Performance wear
- Polo shirts
- Health & safety
ASI’s research shows additional consumer trends based on gender, age, and region.
- Polo shirts and writing instruments are more influential with men than women.
- Health & safety products and bags are more influential with women than men.
- Bags are more influential among consumers age 18-44 than any other age group.
- Writing instruments are more influential among consumers age 35-44 than any other age group.
- Drinkware is more influential among consumers ages 45-64 than any other age group.
- Umbrellas, health & safety products, caps/headwear, and calendars are more influential in the Northeast than any other region.
- Writing instruments, desk accessories, T-shirts, and bags are more influential in the Southeast than any other region.
- Performance wear is more influential in the Southwest than any other region.
Consumer trends among Gen Z:
- Wellness and mental health are increasingly important to younger generations. Products focused on self-care like candles, journals, and skincare products are quite popular.
- 53% of Gen Z enjoys cooking, while 71% say they would like to learn how to cook more. Consider kitchen essentials like utensils and cutting boards.
- Gen Z looks for apparel from brands that support their values, so consider clothing that shows inclusivity and promotes worthy causes. Unisex and gender-neutral options are also increasingly popular – 56% of Gen Z shops “outside” their gender for clothing.
- Gen Z consumes more digital content than any other generation, so anything they can use to interface with social media, video content, and gaming are safe options. Wireless earbuds, Bluetooth speakers, and headsets are particularly popular tech products.
ASI 2022 Ad Impressions Study
PPAI 2022 Sales Volume Study
PPAI 2023 Q1 Consumer Study
PPAI 2021 Consumer Study
SAGE Quarterly Report: Q2 2023
SAGE: The Next Generation of Promo Report
SAGE: Adding Promos to Your Business Guide